2. Athletes surround the Flame at the London 2012 Opening Ceremony
Athletes from all corners of the world witness the lighting of the Olympic Cauldron at the London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.
3. London 1948 Olympic Village
A workman adds the finishing touches to a reading room at the 1948 Olympic Village in Richmond Park. The 20-acre development, which housed 1,400 competitors during the Games, was previously an Army Convalescent Centre.
4. London 2012 Olympic Village
The London 2012 Olympic Village, located on the Olympic Park, has residential apartments for around 17,000 athletes and officials during the Games, along with shops, restaurants, medical, media and leisure facilities, and large areas of park and open space.
5. Women’s Hurdles at the London 1948 Olympic Games
Heats of the women’s 80 metres Hurdles at the London 1948 Games at White City Stadium.
6. Tomic, Kimura and Okou compete in the women’s 100m Hurdles heat
Marina Tomic of Slovenia, Ayako Kimura of Japan and Rosvitha Okou of Cote d’Ivoire compete in a heat of the women’s 100m Hurdles at the Olympic Stadium.
7. Peter Heatly competing in the Men’s Highboard Diving in 1948
Scottish diver Peter Heatly of Great Britain competing in the Men’s Highboard Diving event at the Empire Pool, Wembley during the 1948 London Olympics
8. Great Britain’s Alicia Blagg in training for her London 2012 Diving event
Diver Alicia Blagg of Great Britain practises for the Olympic Diving competition at the Aquatics Centre in London.
9. Finals of the men’s Fencing Individual Foil event at London 1948
Rene Bougnol (left) of France in action against fellow countryman Christian d’Oriola during the finals of the men’s Individual Foil at the London 1948 Olympic Games, at Wembley Stadium.
10. Men’s Team Foil event at London 2012
Alexander Massialas (left) of the USA competes against Sebastian Bachmann of Germany during the men’s Foil Team Fencing event on Day 9 at ExCeL.
11. Per Axel Eriksson competes in the Decathlon at the 1948 Olympics
Per Axel Eriksson of Sweden in action in the discus element of the Decathlon at the 1948 London Olympic Games.
12. Erik Cadee competes in the men’s Discus Throw at London 2012
Erik Cadee of the Netherlands competes in the Discus qualification round on Day 10 of the London 2012 Olympic Games.
13. Men’s 100m Freestyle at the London 1948 Olympic Games
Swimmer Keith Carter of the USA wins the second heat of the men’s 100m Freestyle at the Empire Pool in Wembley at the London 1948 ‘Austerity Games’.
14. Men’s 50m Freestyle semi-final
Cullen Jones of the United States and Cesar Cielo of Brazil touch the wall at the finish of the men’s 50m Freestyle semi-final.
15. Men’s Steeplechase at the London 1948 Olympic Games
Runners from France and Sweden battle it out in the men’s 3000m Steeplechase at Wembley Stadium, at the London 1948 ‘Austerity Games’. Number 357 Tore Sjostrand went on to win the gold medal.
16. Men’s 3000m Steeplechase heats at London 2012
Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad of France competes in the men’s 3000m Steeplechase heats on Day 7 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium.
17. Basketball at the London 1948 Games
France and Chile battle it out in the quarter-final of the men’s Basketball competition at Haringey Arena.
18. Yakhouba Diawara of France drives for a shot
Yakhouba Diawara #7 of France drives for a shot attempt against Ejike Ugboaja #12 of Nigeria during their men’s Basketball Preliminary Round match on Day 10 of the London 2012 Olympic Games.